Alkaline or ionized water is a type of water with a high value of pH and lower content of carbon dioxide. When pH is lower than 7 it gives an acidic solution and when it higher than 7 it gives an alkaline solution. The normal water has pH value equal from 6.5 to 8.5, so when its pH is very high it turns into alkaline water.
production of Alkaline Water
The Production of Alkaline Water can be performed through the water electrolysis process which separates the alkaline components and the acidic components of water. We must mention that the water that comes from rocks gathers some minerals and converts naturally into alkaline water, and similar to this; during water electrolysis process the alkaline water can be generated from gathering some minerals like magnesium, calcium, and others.
Health Benefits of Alkaline Water
A wide range of recent research studies have explained that the oral administration of alkaline water has many important health benefits, such as:
- Reduce the blood glucose level and protect the beta cell in the pancreas from undergoing oxidative damage.
- Reduce the level of harmful fats in blood especially the low-density lipoprotein-cholesterol and triglycerides.
- Suppress the formation of free radicals; which in turn help in improving the metabolic functions.
- Another study showed that Alkaline water consumption helps in controlling weight gain rate in obese mice through controlling homeostasis of cholesterol.
- Alkaline water also succeeded in reducing the bad side effects of end-stage renal diseases.
- Prevent the formation of urinary system stones and facilitate the excretion of the formed stones.
- Treat gastrointestinal tract disorders and relieve its symptoms through neutralizing the secreted acids in the stomach.
- Alkaline water help in reducing blood viscosity in the case of getting dehydration which results from doing exercise.
Interestingly, scientists also found that bathing with alkaline water highly helps in enhancing skin health. for instance, the mice bathed using this water has shown a great reduction in the rate of skin cells damage that results from the exposure to ultraviolet sun rays.
Is alkaline water safe?
In spite of this wide range of alkaline water benefits; The World Health Organization (WHO) Reported that consuming water with pH value higher than 9 can result in some health disorders such as eye and skin irritation in animals, While, consuming water with pH value higher than 10 in human can lead to gastrointestinal tract irritation.
Consuming alkaline water can also leave some side effects, such as:
- confusion and bad mood.
- Vomiting and dizziness.
- muscles weakness.
- Tingling in hands, legs, and face.
- hand cramps.
On the other hand, in the preparation zone, scientists noticed that the water electrolysis process leads to the generation of platinum nanoparticles which have very dangerous toxic effects.
Where to Buy Alkaline Water?
Alkaline water is available everywhere, you can find it in health food stores or in grocery, you also can buy it online
How to Make Alkaline Water?
It is very easy to make your own alkaline water at home as follow:
- Although some materials such as lemon juice are acidic, at the same time it contains some minerals that have the ability to yield alkaline products, so, you can make alkaline water by adding the squeeze of one lemon to a cup of normal water.
- Adding some of the baking soda to normal water also help in making alkaline water.