health benefits of watermelon
Health benefits of watermelon
This delicious and refreshing fruit that’s called (Watermelon) have also many important health benefits for you, for example; one cup of fresh watermelon contains only 46.2 calories, besides, it is rich in some minerals and vitamins such as Vitamin A and the Ascorbic acid (Vitamin C). Watermelon also helps you to provide your body with more than one type of Phytocompounds.
Watermelon nutritional facts
You can imagine the health benefits of watermelon by knowing that one cup of Fresh Watermelon (nearly 154 gram) contains high percentages of the reference daily intake (RDI) of many minerals and vitamins as follows:
- 21 % of Vitamin C.
- 18 % of Vitamin A.
- 3% of Vitamin B complex.
- 5 % of Potassium (K).
- 4 % of Magnesium (Mg).
- 3 % of Copper.
- 2 % of Proteins.
- 2 % of Dietary fibers
- 2 % of Phosphorus.
- 2 % of Iron
- 1 % of Zinc, Calcium, and Selenium.
watermelon benefits weight loss
There is no need to worry about weight gain if you are eating watermelon regularly; because watermelon has a high content of water and dietary fibers and it also contains very low amounts of calories (2 cups contain only 80 calories).
So, watermelon will be making you feel full and don’t need to eat more foods, besides, watermelon has appropriate levels of natural sugars which will help in satisfying your body’s cravings for sweet foods.
watermelon benefits for men
In a 2008 study; researchers found that watermelon contains an amino acid called (citrulline) which plays an important role in dilating and relaxing the blood vessels, and it mimics the effect of Erectile dysfunction‘s drugs inside the body.
Dr. Bhimu Patil says that citrulline amino acid is converted into another amino acid called Arginine, where arginine is the main source of nitric oxide which considered a great blood vessel dilator.
Patil also said that 4 ounces of watermelon (nearly 10 small balls) contain about 150 mg of amino acid citrulline, which means that watermelon is a vital treatment for men’s infertility problems.
Read also: turmeric cancer success stories
benefits of watermelon seeds
besides the benefits of eating watermelon, eating watermelon seeds provide our body with a lot of health benefits; due to the points which will be illustrated in the following lines:
- There is a small number of calories in watermelon seeds, for instance; a handful of these seeds (4 gm) contains about 55 seeds have only 20 calories, so it can help in shedding weight
- We can get magnesium from watermelon seeds, which is important mineral for maintaining the immune system, circulatory system, nervous system, muscles, and bone health. Food and Drug Administration showed that eating 4 gram of seeds provide us with 21 gram of magnesium.
- Nearly 4 gram of watermelon seeds contains 0.3 mg of Iron, which considered an important component of hemoglobin, and protects us from Iron deficiency anemia, and helps our bodies also in converting some calories into energy.
- Eating watermelon seeds helps us in getting an appropriate amount of folic acid (Vitamin B9), which is responsible for enhancing brain functions, controlling homocysteine percentage in blood, and enhancing pregnant women health, and some studies showed that folic acid deficiency during pregnancy could lead to neural tubal birth defects.
- We also can get an adequate amount of healthy monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fatty acid, which play a perfect role in protecting us from heart and blood vessels diseases through lowering the level of low-density lipoprotein cholesterol (bad cholesterol) in blood.
Note: You can use roasted watermelon seeds as a snack instead of unhealthy fried potatoes chips or and any other unhealthy bad snacks.
watermelon benefits for skin
surely everyone noticed that Watermelon has high water content, and for this reason; watermelon helps greatly in hydrating and moisturizing all body parts especially skin and protecting us from dehydrating, and it also acts as a skin toner to refresh the skin.
On another hand, as we get older our bodies form high amounts of Free radicals which have a damaging effect on our body cells and skin and may lead to the appearance of aging signs. Watermelon has high levels of antioxidants such as Lycopene, Vitamin A and vitamin C which help greatly in fighting these free radicals and slow down the aging signs, while vitamins A and C have a role in forming some proteins (Collagen and elastin) that help our skin stay young and supple.
Watermelon may also help in eliminating acne; because it has a high amount of vitamin A that play a role in reducing the size of skin pores and it also reducing the oil secretion from sebaceous glands.
watermelon juice benefits & watermelon benefits in summer
Benefits of eating watermelon are extended to include also watermelon juice; because a single cup of watermelon juice offers nearly 25 % of our daily need of Vitamin A and vitamin C, besides dietary fibers, calcium, potassium, iron and proteins, and some recent research studies showed that drinking one cup of watermelon juice especially in summer will helps in:
- Reducing inflammation because it packed with high levels of anti-inflammatory agents such as lycopene, triterpenoids, and beta-carotene. (source)
- Detoxifying the body by increasing the rate of elimination of some toxins such as ammonia and excess uric acid from the kidney, and preventing the formation of kidney stones. (Source)
- Improving vision through lycopene that helps in lowering the oxidative stress inside eyes; so that protects them from some diseases such as cataract and macular degeneration. (Source)
- Numerous studies have confirmed that Watermelon also has anti-cancer properties, for instance, there is a study published in 2014 and showed that the high content of lycopene in watermelon plays a great role in preventing DNA damage inside the cells, beside that, the lycopene which we get from watermelon or watermelon juice helps in reducing the rate of cancer cells proliferation and its metastasis to other body organs. (Sources: 1 , 2 , 3)
seedless watermelon benefits
Seedless watermelon is a type of hybrid watermelon which has been planted in many countries for more than 5 decades, it is worth to mention that seedless watermelon isn’t genetically modified; so there are no concerns about eating it, and it also gives the body all benefits which we get from the traditional watermelon.
negative effects watermelon
Although even though there are clearly numerous health benefits of watermelon, but, on the other hand, there are some side effects which result from eating or drinking excessive amounts of watermelon, such as:
because watermelon is backed with a high amount of potassium; it may result in disorders of heartbeat rate and it also can lead to a significant drop in blood pressure level.
In rare cases; some people can exhibit some allergic reactions toward one or more of watermelon or watermelon juice components, and these symptoms include digestive system disorders, vomiting, nausea, and itching.
So; we advise everyone regardless of having allergies to watermelon or not; to eat this fruit or drink its juice in moderation.
3 thoughts on “health benefits of watermelon”
I love infused water especially lemon water. I always see to it to have a supply of hydrated fruits such as lemon,pineapple,watermelon.melon etc in the fridge coz they really will keep you hydrated and it is very helpful in washing out body toxins and waste.
yeah, you are right, these fruits which have a high water content help efficiently in the elimination of harmful toxins from our bodies, and help also in enhancing our immunity.
І’ve been browsing online mor tһan 2 һօurs toɗay, yet Ӏ nevеr found any іnteresting article ⅼike уօurs (Y)