how to prevent breast cancer naturally with fish-derived omega-3
New research showed that the Omega 3 Fatty acid which found in fish oil may play a role in the suppression of growth and spread of breast cancer
Publication date: 16 October 2018
At first, let us know causes and symptoms of breast cancer and health benefits of Omega 3 then we will illustrate this study in details
breast cancer causes and symptoms
In general breast cancer is an uncontrolled malignant growth in the breast cells, it may occur in men and women but it is very common in women.
We know that the women breast is consist of connective tissues, fats, and a huge number of small glands (The lobules), and these lobules are responsible for milk secretion, and there are also small ducts which carry the milk to the nipple, in many cases breast cancer onset occurs inside the lobules and it may also onset in the milk ducts, after that the cancer cells spread to other body organs, thus we can classified breast cancer to 2 main types, which are: 1) Ductal carcinoma, 2) Lobular carcinoma.
There are many risk factors for breast cancer include:
- The risk of breast cancer increases by the person’s age.
- The family history of breast cancer, carrying some genes in the body (like BRCA1, BRCA2, and TP53) may be the reason for developing breast cancer.
- Obesity and extremely dense breast tissue.
- Hormone therapies such as (hormone replacement therapy), and the drugs which increase the level of estrogen especially (birth control pills).
- Alcohol consumption increases the risk of breast cancer, and there is a study which showed that the consumption of more than 3 drinks of alcohols per day increases breast cancer risk by 1.5 times.
- exposure to radiation also increases the risk of the disease.
- Some studies also showed that carcinogens and chemical material that result in endocrine disruptions may be also the cause of breast cancer.
What’re the main symptoms of breast cancer?
- noticeable change in morphology and shape of the breast.
- the feeling of pain in the armpits or in the breast and this pain doesn’t change with the women monthly cycle.
- extremely rash on the nipple of one breast or around it.
- change in the skin of the breast such as redness, pitting .. etc.
What’re the possible treatments for breast cancer?
The type of treatment depends on many factors such as the type of cancer, tumor stage, age, sensitivity to hormones and the overall patient health, the treatment of breast cancer can be one of the following:
- targeted drug
- hormone therapy.
- Nano-therapy (not applied yet).
Important benefits of fish-derived omega-3
Omega – 3 is a very important fatty acid that has a huge number of benefits to overall body health, include:
- reduce the risk of the diseases which associated with the heart; because it decreases the level of bad cholesterol (LDL) and increases the level of good cholesterol (HDL), omega – 3 also can lower the level of triglycerides by 20 – 30 %.
- Omega – 3 maintains normal brain functions.
- this amazing fatty acid is considered a good supplement to reduce body weight.
- Omega – 3 protects the body from some other diseases such as Cancer, diabetes, besides this; it maintains bone, eye, and skin health
- Omega – 3 also improves depression symptoms.
how to prevent breast cancer naturally with fish-derived omega-3?
After the previous long introduction, we have to illustrate the study which uncovered the role of fish derived omega 3 in preventing breast cancer as following:
Saraswoti Khadge, (the author of the study which was published in journal Clinical & Experimental Metastasis) illustrated that the fatty acids have the ability to stop and delay tumors forming, as well as preventing cancerous cells from spread to other body organs, and the scientists attribute this to omega 3 anti-inflammatory properties plus its role in supporting the immune system.
The current study depends on 2 groups of female mice which were fed on a liquid diet that contained equal amounts of fats and calories, but one of these diets contained plant oil rich in omega – 6 and the other contained another plant oil rich in omega – 3, after that the mice groups were injected with breast cancer cells (called: 4T1), therefore this injection resulted in tumor development in the mice breast.
(This injected breast cancer cells are known by their spread in a random manner to other body parts such as lungs, livers, and bones).
After that, the mice groups were autopsied and studied carefully after 35 days of this injection.
Khadge and her colleagues also says that the tumors found in (omega – 3) group mice breasts were smaller by 50 % than the tumors found in (omega – 6) group mice breasts, the results also showed that the rate of growth and spreading of cancer cells to other body organs were lower and mice survival were longer in Omega – 3 mice group, besides this; some of the mice which fed on omega – 3 didn’t develop breast cancer.
The study teamwork also found that there is an increase in the level of some white blood cells called (T-cells) in omega – 3 group and this T-cells is one of the main components of the immune system; thus it enhances the body immunity to fight against the tumors, this group also had fewer inflammations when compared with omega – 6 group.
Khadge explains this by saying that the mice group which fed on Omega – 3 suppressed the inflammation reactions that trigger the development and the spreading of cancerous cells and it also enhanced T-cells response against tumors.
This study agreed with many previous studies which confirmed that eating (fish oil) during pregnancy reduces the risk of breast cancer.
There is a confirmation that feeding on a diet rich in Omega – 3 markedly; help in preventing the development of breast cancer and many other diseases, so please ask your doctor to guide you to the omega – 3 healthy diets which suitable for your overall health
Saraswoti Khadge, Geoffrey M. Thiele, John Graham Sharp, Timothy R. McGuire, Lynell W. Klassen, Paul N. Black, Concetta C. DiRusso, Leah Cook, James E. Talmadge. “Long-chain omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids decrease mammary tumor growth, multiorgan metastasis and enhance survival”, Clinical & Experimental Metastasis, 2018; DOI: 10.1007/s10585-018-9941-7
for more scientific studies visit: Recent Research Studies